Labour has been listening to your views about the Milton Road City Deal Consultation. We’d like to thank all of the people who have been in contact with us and particularly the residents who have set up Residents’ Associations and held meetings for local people. This has been an impressive effort, and will contribute to the development of the plans.
Local campaigner and resident Mike Sargeant says "Our views on the proposals from County Council Officers have been shaped after listening to all of these contributions and we believe it is right that we share our thoughts with you at this stage:
- We need to enable more people from South Cambridgeshire and local residents to use buses and cycles rather than cars, with more peak-time Park and Ride and buses for commuters and residents
- We need segregated cycle lanes and pavements on Milton Road to encourage cycling, prevent clashes with cars and pedestrians and cut air pollution on the road
- 2 bus lanes are not needed on Milton Road. Single Bus Lanes should be provided only where they improve the flow of buses
- High quality trees and verges are an essential part of retaining and improving the residential nature of Milton Road for local people
- The City Deal needs to consult with residents on parking options at the next stage
- Any scheme needs to cut rat running in our residential areas and retain resident access at key junctions along the road
We need citywide proposals to cut car commuting and tackle the worst congested routes like Milton Road."